Friday 26 November 2021

The Day of the Serpent - Cassandra Clark

 

Not really being one for historical fiction, I found myself being unusually drawn to this.


I  won't lie, it seemed to take an age to read. Almost two weeks from cover to cover. But, I kept finding myself reuturning to it, even if infrequently.


Take one friar, a group of highly trained archers, a disposed (assumed dead) king. And one of the most natural driving forces, revenge.


A tale of men on foot, a fanatical arch-bishop and a wannabe king on a massive power trip driven by madness.


We follow, the friar and the bowmen. Travelling from Pontefract Castle to London, with the assumed dead body of the de-throned King Richard. Following a spate of killings, the travelling party is alert. With their paymaster up in arms about the killing of his men.


The friar is entrusted, to find the person who has commited these crimes. Having alreday fallen in with the bowmen, he suspects them, but never outs them. Friendship holds his tongue.


Chauser, make appearances in the tale, trying to smuggle out his own tales to preserve them for future times.


Like I said, I found it to be a slow read, but read it I did, and it evaded the DNF pile. So it had qualities enough for me to finish it.


Satatus: Completed

Rating: 3.8/5.0


#NetGalley #TheDayOfTheSerpent #CassandraClark #HistoricalFiction #BrothersInArms

No comments:

Post a Comment