Saturday 26 September 2020

The Devil and the Dark Water - Stuart Turton

Bit of a strange one this, after the first few chapters everything is awash.  The period in which it is set is just as hard to nail down. But it has to be somewhere between the 1500 - 1800.

You get what you expect from that era. Wooden boats, demons, lashes, pomp, circumstance and everything between. There's even a dwarf for good measure.

The book reads well, despite being stuck in a single area for most of it. It could have been so much worse, so kudos where its required.

The characters are strong, intertwined as is inevitable. Through their development the plot builds and holds as much gusto as a sea storm.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this, slightly out of my comfort zone. It took longer to read than other books. But it held my interest, and kept me picking it up.

 

Status: Completed

Rating: 4.2 / 5.0
 

No comments:

Post a Comment